Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Sacramento Struggles

I'm breaking a personal record here, posting two blogs in the same day, even the same week! I'm here in Sacramento with work for the next 6 weeks. Other than having no social life, it's great. I get a quiet space all to myself where I can work, study, take naps and cry during movies. It also makes for some adventures as I find my way around town in a rental car trying to find a new building every morning by 8am.

So, this morning Brad (coworker) and I left just after 7 to make it to our training by 8am. After taking a wrong exit, getting back on track and crossing our fingers each time we approached a stoplight we finally made it to what we thought was the right area. We found a parking garage and squeezed into a spot. We had about 25 binders we needed to take in with us. I suggested we leave them in the car until we find the room and then come back for them. Brad convinced me that it would just be easier to take them with us and not make the trip back.

We got out and started walking only to find the street numbers all messed up. We were lost. Brad ran across the street to ask someone if they knew where the building was. I couldn't hear them but I saw the man point in the opposite direction and make a really big gesture, which I interpreted to mean 'really far!'

Let me now give you a backdrop. It's misty, cold, and I'm in heels with a light jacket (something in me thought it wouldn't be cold in Cali). So, we start on our trek. Brad ran ahead to try to find it. In the meantime, I called one of CA's employees that I work with and asked her for directions (I didn't trust the other guy, I don't care how friendly he was). She told me there are two buildings for the same department and we were headed towards the wrong one. Meaning: Brad is halfway to the wrong building and I am halfway from the right building and have to trek back in my heels. I'm still hauling a box of binders and my laptop while holding the phone to my ear with my shoulder, ouch!

We finally made it to the building and the rest of the training went great. Just made for a morning!

No comments: